Wednesday, July 30, 2014

RED PUMPKIN SOUP

RED PUMPKIN SOUP


The pumpkin is one of those vegetables that my husband dislikes! I explained to him that it has numerous benefits but they fell on deaf ears. I wanted to make some dish which he would like with pumpkin in it.

I was delighted to find this recipe in Master Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's book, "Khazana of Indian Recipes." The idea of presenting the dish in an attractive way appealed to my husband as did, I am glad to say, the soup itself! In fact, he told me that we should have this more often!!

Thank you, Sanjeev Kapoor Sir!!!






Ingredients:
  • Red Pumpkin, (Lal Bhopla), 600 gms
  • Onions, medium-sized, 2
  • Butter, 2 tbsp.
  • Bay Leaves, (Tej Patta), 2
  • Peppercorns, (Kali Mirch), 8-10
  • Salt, to taste
  • White Pepper Powder, 1/2 tsp
  • Lemon Juice, 2 tsp
  • Fresh Cream, 1/4 cup * I chose not to add this.
Method:

Peel and slice the onions.
Peel and dice the red pumpkin.
Heat butter in a pan, add bay leaves and peppercorns.
Add onions and saute for a while
Add diced pumpkin, saute for half a minute, add sufficient water and cook until soft and fully done
Strain excess water, reserve the stock and puree the vegetables
Now add the stock to the puree to reach the correct consistency
Add salt and pepper powder and bring to a boil
Add lemon juice
Serve hot, garnished with cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have liked this recipe, I would appreciate your leaving a comment. Thank you !